The Baking Contest is over but make sure you check out the winning cake at the Cottage Kitchen. Hurry up, you only have until tomorrow to try it!
The last of our finalists is a zesty lemon drizzle is a perfect light snack for a study break or with a pot of tea to relax. A delightfully moist sponge with a hint of lavender in the aftertaste; but not a la Norman on the Great British Bake Off.
For the cake
- 4 oz very soft butter
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 6 oz self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Grated rind of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon of dried lavender
For the icing
- The Juice of 1 large lemon- add more if you like it super zesty
- 4 oz icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Use a round cake tin. This tin must be deep enough to allow for all the cake mix to cook and have room to ruse.
- Cream the butter and sugar together before adding the beaten eggs. Then add the flour, baking powder, milk, rind and lavender. Beat this mixture for about 2-3 minutes. The mixture should fall easily off the spoon.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden & firm to the touch.
- Beat together icing ingredients and pour over the cake while it is still HOT.
- Do not remove the cake from the tin until it is cool.
- Decorate as you wish.
Images courtesy of Pinterest.