Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to appreciate all of the love in your life, and whether you’re celebrating with a significant other or a group of girlfriends, what better way to celebrate than over dinner. If your love language is food then the options of what to cook on Valentines Day are endless, but in my opinion there is only one dish sure to warm the hearts of everyone involved: pasta. Since this is a special occasion, skip the simple weeknight pasta routine and make something a little more decadent and perfectly warming for a cold February night.
Skillet Chicken Lasagna
- 12 oz. pasta
- Italian herbs
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 jar of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup ricotta cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta in boiling water and set aside until later.
- Season the chicken breasts with Italian herbs and place in a skillet coated with olive oil until golden brown cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the chicken broth and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- To the same pan add the jar of tomato sauce and red pepper flakes, and bring to a simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the pasta, mozzarella, parmesan and basil to the sauce. For a little extra decadence add ricotta cheese. Stir to combine until the cheese is melted. Alternately you can put it into the oven for the few minutes at the end to melt the cheese further. Top with fresh basil.
Note: This is quite a large recipe so if you’re cooking just for two, be sure to cut the amount of ingredients down by at least half