The Baking Contest is over but make sure you check out the winning cake at the Cottage Kitchen from Dec 1-7th!
Today’s cake was another one of our finalists: beautifully dark, moist chocolate sponge, covered and filled with peanut butter icing and finished with a drizzle of smooth, warm chocolate and peanut butter ganache. So deliciously indulgent.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 175C. Butter the bottoms and sides of three 8-inch round cakepans. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment and butter the paper.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk to combine them well. Add the oil and sour cream and whisk to blend. Gradually beat in the water. Blend in the vinegar and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure the batter is well mixed. Divide among the 3 prepared cake pans.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Let cool in the pans for about 20 minutes. Invert onto wire racks, carefully peel off the paper liners, and let cool completely.
4. To ice the cake, place one layer, flat side up, on a cake stand or large serving plate. Spread 2/3 cup cup of the Peanut Butter icing evenly over the top. Repeat with the next layer. Place the last layer on top and ice the top and sides of the cake with the remaining icing.
5. To decorate with the Chocolate–Peanut Butter Ganache, put the cake plate on a large baking sheet to catch any drips. Simply pour the glaze over the top of the cake, and using an offset spatula, spread it evenly over the top just to the edges so that it runs down the sides of the cake in long drips. Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes to allow the glaze and frosting to set completely. Remove about 1 hour before serving.
Peanut Butter Icing
- 10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 14 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl often. Continue to beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add the peanut butter and beat until thoroughly blended.
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ganache
- 8 ounces good quality chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream
1. In the top of a double boiler or in a bowl set over simmering water, combine the chocolate, peanut butter, and corn syrup. Cook, whisking often, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk and cream, beating until smooth. Use while still warm.
Images courtesy of Lemon Sugar on Pinterest.