Now that we’ve covered what to cook for Valentine’s Day dinner, we can get to the best part of the meal: dessert. It’s a universal truth that nothing says Valentine’s Day quite like chocolate and wine. While a box of truffles and a bottle of red make great additions to any Valentines Day meal, this year for dessert try something new and combine the two in a decadent Red Wine Chocolate cake. It’s the perfect combo of these truly romantic ingredients, and while it will taste amazing, the best part is that it couldn’t be easier to make.
Red Wine Chocolate Cake
- 6 tablespoons (86 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (145 grams) packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 grams) white sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (177 ml) red wine
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (133 grams) all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup (41 grams) cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix the butter until smooth and add the sugars until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well before adding the red wine and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon together into the bowl with the other ingredients. Mix together.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch round cake pan and cake at 325 F (165 C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes before topping with powdered sugar or homemade whipped cream.